Thursday, November 5, 2009

Go green with your hair, just not the colour


I grew my hair out for over a year. In an attempt to bring it back to life (figure of speech, as hair is dead), I decided it needed a serious trim. Without a regular salon in Toronto, I visited my old friend Laura who is a Sr. stylist at LOKI in Yorkville.

While waiting for my appointment to begin, the receptionist pleasantly informed me that LOKI supports a “green pathway for change.”

Thanks to an organization called Green Circle Salons, hair salons in Toronto and around the world are going green. Guess what they are recycling? It’s hair of course!

Who knew that human hair makes the filter screens to clean oil spills. Someone in England even made a chair out of human hair resin. I know, legitimately creepy, but intriguing.

Hair is a sustainable resource. Some hope that in the future it will replace fiberglass and other materials to make things such as mascara, boat parts, shoes, clothing and structural beams. Shockingly, hair chair designer Ronald Thompson estimates that “a strand of hair can support 8,750 times its own weight, and that a head of hair can support 13 tons and that hair can double its own length before breaking.”

Keeping hair and colour tubes out of landfills supports Green Circle Salons’ bottom line of maintaining environmental integrity in salons. A directory found on their website lists the salons in the Greater Toronto Area participating in the green pathway initiatives.

So if environmental sustainability is on your mind, along with a hurting head of hair, make sure you choose a salon that is aligned with Green Circle Salons, or go see Laura at LOKI.

By Emily

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool! I had no idea that salons were taking that initiative... I always wondered what was done with the hair that was cut off since I was once told it was great to use in gardens! Nice to know that someone is taking the initiative! Can't wait to see your new cut Em!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

Carly Ostroff Emily Eckroth Amanda Burcul Ashley Bonnici Kirsty Budd