Thursday, December 10, 2009

3 Reasons why New York City does Christmas better than you!

I love New York. No really. I love, love, love New York.

Someone recently asked me when my favourite time to visit the great city was.

At first I said Spring. I like walking around and seeing all the trees and flowers beginning to bloom. Plus it’s Tony season.

Then I corrected myself. Autumn. I like walking through Central Park as the leaves are changing colours.

But then I remembered Christmas.

New York at Christmas time is absolutely my favourite time of year to visit the city.

New York does Christmas better than any other city in the world. And there are three reasons for this.

1. Store Window Displays


The most famous windows are the Macy's windows. This year Macy’s did Miracle on 34th Street windows and did some letters to Santa windows.



Also fantastic though are the windows on Fifth Avenue. Cartier makes its storefront look like a present. Bergdorf Goodman has a music theme this year.

2. Lights

Time Warner Center. Absolutely the most beautiful display of lights ever. The stars hang from the ceiling and change colour. Starting at 5pm they change colours to music.

3. Rockefeller Christmas Tree


This glorious tree is the focal point for New York’s Christmas. The lighting ceremony is televised every year. People line up to take a picture with the tree. Vendors try to sell pictures of the tree. There isn’t a New Yorker in the world who is jaded enough to skip out on this holiday tradition.

So there you have it. New York does Christmas better than you do. But hey, try to prove me wrong. I dare you.


Guest blog by Olivia

2 comments:

  1. I have only ever been to New York in the spring and I loved it! It is a goal of mine to visit during the Christmas season and your blog just reaffirmed my need to go! Adding to your points, only New York would have something as cool as this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XghU3ra-zU 607 elves swarmed Bryant Park in Midtown Manhattan, breaking a Guinness World record. Only New York would have such an interesting event! I look forward to visiting the city one Christmas and checking out the store window displays, lights and of course the Rockefeller Christmas tree. Great blog, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New York City Christmas window displays give whole new meaning to the words, "window shopping." There you can celebrate peace and love, with hippie holidays courtesy of Barney's New York. Or honour the season to be gifted with Bloomingdale's. After all, nothing says Christmas quite like department store shopping.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

Carly Ostroff Emily Eckroth Amanda Burcul Ashley Bonnici Kirsty Budd